What is Foil Stamping and Why is it Utilized?
Foil stamping is a printing process in which a thin layer of metallic or pigment foil is applied to a substrate using heat, pressure, and a die. The foil is typically made of aluminum, but can also be made of other materials such as copper, brass, or silver.
During the foil stamping process, a roll of foil is fed through a foil stamping machine. The foil is then cut to the desired shape and size using a metal die. The die is heated and pressed onto the substrate, causing the foil to transfer from the roll onto the substrate. The heat and pressure cause the foil to adhere to the substrate and create a raised, glossy, metallic effect.
Foil stamping is often used to add a decorative element to printed materials such as business cards, invitations, brochures, and packaging. It can also be used for functional purposes, such as adding barcodes or serial numbers to products.
There are several benefits to using foil stamping in printing:
- Durability: Foil stamping is a durable printing method that can withstand handling and wear. The foil is applied to the surface of the substrate, rather than being printed onto it, which makes it more resistant to fading, smudging, and scratching.
- High-quality finish: Foil stamping creates a glossy, metallic finish that adds a professional and upscale look to printed materials. It can be used to highlight certain elements on a page or add a decorative touch to a design.
- Versatility: Foil stamping can be used on a wide range of substrates, including paper, cardstock, plastic, and fabric. It can also be combined with other printing methods, such as embossing or debossing, to create multi-dimensional effects.
- Customization: Foil stamping allows for a wide range of customization options, including the choice of foil color, finish (matte or glossy), and thickness. It is also possible to use multiple colors of foil in a single design.
- Cost-effectiveness: Foil stamping can be a cost-effective printing method for small quantities of printed materials. The setup cost for foil stamping is typically higher than other printing methods, but the per-unit cost decreases as the quantity increases.
APR Solutions, an existing Best Graphics partner, acquired the company Saroglia — a renowned Italian manufacturer of clam shell die cutters and foil stamping equipment — and rebranded it as “Saroglia by APR Solutions”. They offer the FUB which is a Rotary Clamshell Die Cutter and the FUB Gold which is a Die Cutter with foil stamping and embossing capabilities. Saroglia machines have been manufactured for over 100 years and have recently been upgraded with state-of-the-art technology.
The newly enhanced Saroglia FUB Gold comes in a 23 x 30” format, features an automatic feeder for quick and easy operation, and provides the widest range of stock thickness and tonnage capability in their class.
Give us a call, and ask how we can get you into affordable machines, new or used, to increase production and reduce costs! We take used equipment trade-ins, too!
Follow Best Graphics on LinkedIn and stay up-to-date on company news and machine listings!
Best Graphics: Full Spectrum!